Photo
I’ll just leave this here..

I’ll just leave this here..

Photoset

Then today I chopped up the rear half of the bodywork, with the intention of keeping only the quarter panels - everything else went in the bin. 

Once I had those, I did a little Cardboard Aided Design to tidy up the roof joint above the doors, then dressed it all smooth. 

Finally I tacked on the bits I’d chopped off the bottom.. wish I’d never cut them there, to be honest, but plans change!

You might guess how the rear bodywork will go together.. it’ll be a removable clam made up of 5 parts bonded together: quarter panels, roof panel, tailgate, and bumper / valence. I’ll get them all done in metal first, then take moulds of everything to make the composite parts.

Photoset

Yesterday - I picked up a non-sunroof skin ages ago, so got rounf to trimming the skin from the rest of the bracing etc. As with all the bodywork, I’ll be using the metal panels only for mould making. 

Once that was done, I cut off the sunroof skin from my shell.

Video

I spent last week at my favourite place, so figured I’d leave my mark.

Photoset

My resto GTI has kindly donated a door, so I’ve got the other side finished now, and the sill exhaust tunnels are now tacked on. (I did both sides to make the chassis symmetrical.. it’d be weird otherwise)

Front panel has been put back on the jig, ready to start getting the front bodywork together.

Photoset

Trimmed bodywork is now tacked on and tied in to the space frame. I had an old door kicking about so I put it on and made the reinforcements for the latch and hinges. I’ll have to borrow a door off my GTI to do the other side.

Shut lines are even good!

Photoset

More bodywork trimming today.. getting the front end ready to go back together and tidying up the sills. Removed 7kg of metalwork. :)

Photoset

So I moved on to the next job, which is to remove what’s left of the sills ready to be boxed in for the exhaust. While I was at it I removed a load of meat from the door & windscreen surrounds - I only need the apertures for both so everything else was chopped out. 

The bodywork started off at 18.2kg and I chopped 6.2kg out, leaving 12kg. Most of that was out of the front so will be good for the weight distribution. The roof skin will be replaced with carbon which should hopefully save another 2kg.

Photoset

So, annoyingly, I ran out of gas before I could finish the gear linkage, but the bits look pretty cool.. 2 bearings either side of the rocker tube so it’s silky smoooooth.

Photoset

Shifter mount!

This was a pain. The gearbox is so far back in the car and I need the shifter up by the wheel, so the linkage will need to involve some monkey-motion and go rearwards to a rocker then forwards to the back of the box. Really really not very much space to do any of this!

It means my centre console isn’t going to be as clean as I wanted, but I have a plan and it should hopefully look pretty nice anyway. The good news is the shifter is in the perfect position. In a race car, that’s what matters. :)

Photoset

Harness bars!

Photoset

Today I sorted out my seat mounts and re-worked my steering column bearings. The mounts are now bolt-in, because having the welded-in ones was a massive fucking pain in the arse when it came to getting the seat in or out! The column bearings (after faffing with several different ideas - all rubbish) are now some nice needle rollers in bolt-on aloominum housings. The whole thing is just so much nicer than any of the other options, so I’m glad to have chopped it out and tried again! 

I’ve kept the same position for everything.. just a lot nicer and much more maintenance-friendly.

Photoset

More turbo pics and a shot of the TiAL MVS wastegate.